Radio gun bigot
Posted by Lissa on December 16, 2010
I was running errands yesterday when the DJ started pontificating on Hulk Hogan’s wedding. (I know — a subject about which you surely care as much as I. Namely, zero.) It seems that, upon forcible expulsion, a paparazzo declared that he was carrying a gun and was wrestled to the ground.
So far so boring, right? Hulk Hogan, wedding, paparazzo, threats, *yawn*. But then the DJ went on to declare:
“I just don’t understand why people are allowed to have guns. Y’know? Like, why don’t we just limit it to police and military? Why should people be allowed to have deadly weapons, y’know?”
At that point I just about broke my finger stabbing for another channel.
Why, indeed? After all, police and military are the Only Ones Professional Enough . . .
Please note that I have great respect for officers of the law. I believe the vast majority of police are upstanding members of the public and do a hard job for a small salary. But that does not AT ALL mean that:
- I trust them to be the ONLY armed members of society; nor that
- I trust them to ALWAYS be on call and within reach when someone the size of Hulk Hogan — or hell, the average paparazzo — goes goblin; nor that
- I choose to forfeit my Constitutional right; nor that
- I allow someone else to deprive me of my Constitutional right; and especially not that
- I think the average radio DJ put any thought into his statement. :)
(BTW, it was 35 degrees this morning and the high for today is 71. My thermometer is asking for the name of Breda’s chiropractor.)